Thursday, January 23, 2014

.pay it forward.

So many wonderful things have happened to me since I've been diagnosed with Celiac and Chron's.  So many people have reached out to help me and let me know they love me and they care.

One day I came home and found an envelope in the mail from a girlfriend.  She had been going through a magazine and found some recipes on GF snacks and thought they may help me as I began this new journey.
We were having a breakfast at work and one of my friends wanted to make sure there was something there I could eat without having to worry so she stopped at the local bakery and found this bread for me.
I met with the local dietitian and she not only gave me some great advice, she gave me a bag filled with goodies and samples.
A special couple from our church heard we had to buy a lot of new items for our kitchen and they showed up at my husband's work one day with a bag full of kitchen utensils and gadgets for us.
Again, came home and found wonderful mail from 2 of my friends.  An awareness bracelet and a key ring straight from Ireland with a lovely note to say she was thinking of me.
And finally a really awesome care package from the University of Chicago Celiac Center.  Lots of samples; coupons; a DVD; magazines and learning material.

In the midst of what has been a very difficult time for me physically, so many people have reached out to let me know I'm not alone.  My daughter is continually finding recipes for me and keeping an eye out for what I eat when we're out and about; my son and his girlfriend have brought me gluten free pizza mix and Gelato to try; co-workers posting links on my Facebook page to GF recipes.  Phone calls to let me know there's resources out there; different ways to live; and delicious ways to continue to cook and eat safely and not get sick. This list doesn't even cover the phone calls, texts and emails I've received from friends asking what they could do to help and letting me know they love me and care about me.  

How blessed am I?  To have so many friends who care about me and are willing to show it and share it has helped tremendously with this transition.  You see, depression is also one of the top symptoms of Celiac.  And when you consider all the other autoimmune diseases I battle, Chron's, IBD, Diabetes, Hypothyroidism.....(i could go on) the depression is sometimes the hardest battle I fight.  But things like this, friends like I have, they help so much.  They make more of a difference than I could ever let them know!

And so it's my turn.  My opportunity to pay it forward.  To find someone and reach out to them; be a blessing to them; let them know they're not alone.  

It shouldn't be hard to do.  There are so many in need of so much.  A word of kindness; a tank of gas; a warm meal.  All we have to do is look around and there are hundreds of opportunities to make a difference in someone's life.  So many have done it for me.

Now it's my turn!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment